Search This Blog

Friday, February 6, 2009

Former traditional practitioner helps moving towards the abandonment of female genital cutting in Niger

A ReliefWeb Article picked up from UNICEF: Former traditional practitioner helps moving towards the abandonment of female genital cutting in Niger MARADI, Niger, 6 February 2009 – "I was 17 when I got married. I was young and I wouldn't accept sexual intercourse with my husband. His family was convinced that I was possessed. They decided to take me to the village barber's to save me from evil spirits", Hinda Atou recalls. Today, aged 25, the young woman remembers the intervention she underwent eight years ago: dangouria."I was so terrified that I did not feel the pain during that very moment. But it hurts a lot during the following weeks. And after a while, the pain stopped." ... http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900SID/JBRN-7NZL5Y?OpenDocument